Everyone needs something that’s going to help them to get by and get through the day. Lately, I have been finding that I’ve been extra exhausted and dragging my feet, so it felt like a really good reason to reflect on some things that make me really happy. It never hurts to remind yourself of why things are actually really great in your life. So without further ado, on today’s inaugural Top 5 Thursday, here are my Top 5 Reasons to be Happy (in no particular order)!
1. My Support System
- Sometimes, when I’m feeling down, I feel incredibly lonely and like I don’t have a friend in the world. This is absolutely not true. I am very lucky to have some wonderful people in my life who love me for who I am. This is, of course, something that is hard to remember when I’m in that downward spiral, but these people do exist in my life; I just have to reach out to them. I am lucky to have a good relationship with my family. My parents are very supportive of me and I know that that they have my back. I get along better with my brothers than I ever did before. I also have the most wonderful boyfriend who loves me as I am: a huge nerd who buys too many books, and occasionally hums random tunes while we’re on the phone together. He makes me so incredibly happy, and I’m so lucky to have him. I also have some absolutely incredible friends, both online and ‘in real life’. I never want to burden them with my problems, but they have my back and I know that I can trust them. Sometimes we go a while without speaking, but I always know that I can strike up a conversation and it will be like no time passed at all.
2. My Job
- I am a high school teacher. Sometimes when I tell people this, they respond with: “I could never do that; I don’t have the ______” (usually patience). I totally understand this, because it’s definitely a job that requires a certain something, but most importantly (in my opinion), it’s a job that requires you to love it. Teaching is a hard job. It’s stressful and a lot of work, and the kids can sometimes make you want to pull your hair out. But when I wake up in the morning, I am never unhappy to have to go to work because I love my job. (I fully admit to not being a morning person so I can’t say I’m ever excited to wake up early.) I love teaching and inspiring kids to find books they love and helping them to improve on their writing, etc. It’s a wonderfully rewarding job, and even on the days where it makes me unhappy, I still love it.
- I have been reading ever since I can remember, and books have almost always been a constant in my life. There was a phase when I was in university where I stopped reading as much because I didn’t have the time to read for pleasure when I was supposed to be reading for class. However, before that and since then I was/am a voracious reader. Books are magical, and reading them lets me escape from real life for just a little while. I am enthusiastic and passionate about books, and I know that I am lucky to have found a hobby that gives me as much enjoyment as it does. Not everyone is that lucky.
4. My Dog
- I have the best dog in the world. Her name is Charlee and she is a border collie/Bernese Mountain Dog cross. She’s almost eight years old now, and she’s allergic to gluten. Charlee has the best disposition. She’s so loving and friendly and always wants to make new friends, which was not great when our house was broken into. She has some serious quirks: she will not walk with just one person when it’s dark out, she sometimes needs to be sung awake in the morning, and when it’s dark at night you need to go out with her and tell her it’s okay to go tinkle. She doesn’t bark a lot like some dogs, and can be a total couch potato. She’s also really good at telling you what she wants. And even though she once broke my finger, I am so glad that Charlee is in my life because she has provided me with endless moments of joy and happiness and laughter. She’s the best.
5. My Life in General
- In general, I’m very lucky. I am young, with a lot of life ahead of me. I live in a beautiful place, working a job I love, and spend time with people I care about and who care about me. I have time to do the things that I love. I am very lucky, and when I’m in a good mood it’s really easy to recognize that. When I am in a not so good mood, it’s hard, but that’s why I needed to write this post, so that when I’m sad I can come back and look at it and think about all of the good things I have in my life and know that tomorrow will be a better day.
How about you? What are the things that make you happy? Let me know in the comments down below.